Thursday, January 1, 2015

Goodbye and Thank You 2014.

First day of the year 2015 and I want to go back to one of the most interesting and memorable experience of my year 2014.

It was early October of year 2014 when I experienced and met strangers that made me realized a lot about life.

After my initial job interview I went to the Redemptorist Church in Baclaran, Paranaque to make my devotions and give thanks for my answered prayers. After hearing and celebrating the mass I went to the Sto. Nino statue stationed near the entrance of the church, offered Sampaguita, knocked three times and made a wish. I also made sure to light a candle at the Shrine on right side of the Church for my unfulfilled wishes and prayers for myself and for my loved ones.

Then when I was about to go home a mother and a child approached me, the mother looked so worried and it was noticeable to see her hands trembling, then when I looked at her daughter, she was shaking and very scared.

I studied in Manila for 5 year that's why I’m aware of different modus operandi in the metro. I’m aware of the “lost-scammer” or what other people called “Sob Story Scam”. I’m aware about their modus and how they operate but for those who are not familiar with the M.O, the lost scammers usually come with a pair: one parent and a child. The father or mother holding the baby or the child will please you to give them money for transportation fare or food. Excuses commonly mentioned are that they lost their wallet and they could not find their way back home, they can’t go back to their provinces, their stomachs are grumbling because of hunger and they could not buy milk or food for their baby or child which they use as props.”

But one thing was preventing me to think that they are scammers. They asked for help in the church I mean there’s no way somebody would lie in the house of God. She told me the unfortunate thing that happened to them. She said they were victimized by robber disguised as a side-car driver at the back area of Baclaran near the LRT Station. The thief got her wallet and cellphone so she has no way to contact her family. She wasn’t asking for money just food for her hungry daughter.  I told her to report it to the police and she did but didn’t get any help from them too because there’s no way to track the criminal. It was like being a victim of robbery is "normal" and "accepted" in that area.

I checked my wallet and got only 150.00 cash and some coins in my purse but still I offered them a ride home. She said they live in Zapote Cavite which is just two rides away from Baclaran. We left Baclaran then rode a jeepney to Coastal Mall.

In the jeepney she shared some stories to me like she has a son named Aki, studying Civil Engineering and a daughter working in place I don’t remember (Haha!). She knows how to speak Japanese and works in a Japanese KTV bar in Makati. She shared a lot and talked to me the entire time waiting for other passengers (but of course I wasn’t looking to her eyes.)

We arrived at Coastal Mall terminal and I offered them to eat first. She refused so I just bought them something to eat and 2 bottles of water. I just spare 50.00 so I can go home too.  She was very thankful and seeing their worried and scared faced replaced by smiles made me feel relieved and happy. I gave her my calling card and told her to text me or call because I want to know if they got home safe.

We have different route so I just accompanied them on the bus where they have to ride. I gave her the other 50.00 for bus fare. She was very thankful until we reached the bus. I hugged both of them before they boarded. They were both smiling as they waved goodbye to me. I rode the bus and went home feeling thankful and content that I helped someone in need.

The following day when I told the story to my family I was surprised with what they've said. My parents said what I did was very dangerous because what if they had accomplice and that was just a front of a more risky modus operandi like kidnapping, rape and a lot more scary stuffs criminals might think of. My brother said that there was a lot of scam in that place though I was aware of that. Lost-scammers can be seen in almost everywhere from foot bridges, train stations, bus and jeepney terminals even outside the mall.  Lately, I’ve seen a lot in Mall of Asia they stayed on the darker part of park in front of the mall near the bus stop. My dad always says awareness is the key to everything and be always vigilant.

I wasn’t that surprised when they say I was lucky that nothing was taken from me of course I only have 150.00 and an old phone. Any person would want to rob me will be upset. Haha.

Kidding aside, on my part, I knew in my heart that moment that I need to help them. I was in the church when they've approached me. What if I was used by God to get the help they needed? I don’t have much but why am I the one they've reached?

Also that moment I remembered my mom and my sister. What if they were in the same situation? What if just what if it happened to them? Will there be someone to help them? Will there be someone willing to know what happened and listen to them? The trauma I saw in the child’s eyes was heartbreaking. How could someone inflict such trauma to an innocent child?

I don’t have much but it didn't stop me because I knew God will be there for me. God will provide and He will not put me in harm.

They said what if they lied? What if it was really a scam?

Scam or not. It was small amount of money. I can earn it. The fact that I saw their smile after an unfortunate thing happened to them was priceless. No amount of money could ever replace that. I haven’t heard anything from them until now but I still hope and pray for them to be always safe.

After a week, I was hired and a lot of my prayers were answered.  I realized a little help would have a great impact on me. I realize how a simple act of kindness can change and make me a better person.

God allowed us to make choices on how we want to live our lives, whether wisely or not. He wants the best for all of us. He never promised us a life free from troubles; He only promised us that He’ll be there for us, whenever we need Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment