Wednesday, June 4, 2014

24 Hours North Escape Part 1

Part 1: Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag 

“Nobody can discover the world for somebody else.”

Date: 23 April 2014, Wednesday

Destination: Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag, Pangasinan

I know most of you have been to Pangasinan and Baguio maybe for a couple of days but for a 24 hours trip?
.
.
.

Yes it is possible.

I can’t remember well how many people expressed their devotion to Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag. I've heard stories, testimonials even tales of the Virgin of Manaoag miraculous cures and how their wishes were miraculously answered by praying to the Venerable Madam

The renowned miraculous and pious events have brought me and my best friend to visit and to give honor to the sacred town of Manaoag.


Getting there

We left the house around 1:45 a.m. with our backpacks and sleepless souls (due to the excitement). We were the second to arrive at the bus station; the first was a family of bakasyonista heading to Baguio. The bus which was the first trip bound for Baguio came, we boarded and after a few minutes off we went. Start time is 2: 00 a.m.




The conductor told us that we are to get off at Binalonan Crossing, which is in Pangasinan and instructed us to ride a jeepney to Manaoag. Saulog bus offer free wifi, it was a good thing though my cellphone battery was worn out so I have to refrain from using it at the entire trip. My best friend has her power bank but we also have to save it for the whole day. I just eased myself by listening to my other cellphone that I used for music/sound purposes only.

I was in the aisle seat so I wasn't able to sleep comfortably. When we reached the stopover in Tarlac I was awakened by the bustling of people walking back and forth. After the short stopover the bus went off again. I wasn't able to sleep because of the two women stridently talking beside me. The bus was already full by that time that’s why there were people standing along the aisle of the bus.

After half an hour of not being able to sleep I just forced myself to watch the scenery of farm lands we passed by and just have selca with my travel bud. Being able to see a lot of farm lands was so much different, it was relaxing seeing the greenery of nature compare to the busy city and high rise buildings in the metro.


Upon reaching Binalonan at around 9:30 a.m, the conductor informed us that we already reached our first destination. He reminded us about riding the jeepney instead of the tricycle. We got off the bus and we first saw the tricycle terminal. One manong approached us asking if we want a ride to Manaoag but my best friend ask how much would the ride cost. According to manong one way ride would cost a hundred peso (Php 100.00). It was a bit pricey so we have decided to find the jeepney terminal (if there’s one). [ Kuripot nope nagtitipid lang. JK.]

I was looking for a signage or anything that would indicate that we were in Binalonan and where may we possibly ride a jeepney to Manaoag. We walked backward to a street that the bus passed by and there we saw the sign heading to Manaoag and there’s also the jeepney waiting and filling itself with passengers.  

We rode the jeepney and the fare was just fifteen pesos (Php 15.00) for a ride that took around 25 to 30 minutes. I got the point of riding the jeepney instead of the tricycle. The tricycle ride was a bit pricey because it would've been a long ride so the jeepney ride was less expensive and more convenient by far.

Around 10:00 a.m. we've reached our destination:  The Shrine of the Nuestra Senora de Manaoag or simply Our Lady of Manaoag.

We ate breakfast at the nearby fast-food chain and started our day with a heavy meal and when I say heavy you know what I mean (PG Mode). ^_____^ v 
When I saw the church and the stalls outside the feeling was like in Antipolo though the church was different; the atmosphere, the smell of food from the stalls, the vendors selling religious articles and stuffs (bracelets, necklaces, cellphone chains, etc.) and the smile and warm welcome of the people was the same feeling I felt when I visited the church in Antipolo.



It was Wednesday during our visit, so there are few people at that time. The mass we heard during that day was shorter compared to the usual mass that I’ve been hearing in Quiapo, Antipolo and Cavite. We all have different reasons; to pray for intentions, hear Mass, pray The Rosary, offer flowers, light candles and have religious articles or vehicles blessed. Any of the Masses in the regular schedule may be offered for personal petitions and thanksgiving. These may be done through the parish office at the right side of the main entrance of the church. Mass offerings and donations may be offered also through its website



The hours that I've spent there made me appreciate a lot of things. Whatever intentions we have and how much we wanted things so bad everything has its own time. There is a God, there has to be. Praying is not all about asking it should also be listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.  I've learned that blessings come not from how we badly need it to come to our lives but how we need it when the right time comes. Never challenge or question your faith. Just believe and everything will fall into place the way we wanted it to be.


After the mass, everyone gathered and raised hands at the front of the altar as the priest blessed the crowd with Holy Water. After the final blessing, we roamed at the entire place. There were paintings on the ceilings and walls, wood carvings at the back of the altar with very intricate and detailed design, even antiquated windows, doors and chairs.

Behind the church are the Parish Office, Museum of Our Lady of The Rosary of Manaoag, Candle Gallery, the Pilgrims’ Center and the Rosary Garden.

Parish Office and Museum of Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag
A staircase that rises to the second floor of the Veneration Room behind the high altar has people queue to kneel at the back of the shrine. Devotees touch the lower part of the Virgin’s mantle, and may drop their prayers into a box. After touching the mantle and praying, devotees pass through the religious souvenir shop on their way out.

Candle Gallery
The Candle Gallery where visitors and devotees can buy candles of different sizes, colors and purpose. There were also candles for different occasions and wishes. Price ranges from 4.00 – 16.00 for simple candles and 100.00 to 200.00 for special candles.




The Pilgrims’ Center and the Virgin's Wishing Well Building
Holy water is dispensed free to those with receptacles because devotees believe that the Holy water and oil from the Shrine possesses healing powers.




Virgin's Wishing Well Building 
 Prayed for our intentions as we lighted the candles and placed them on the stand.
We bought religious articles from the souvenir shops at the front office of the church. My best friend bought some rosary, bracelets and necklace for her family. She gave me a birthstone bracelet as well.

The Rosary Garden


  Canteen/ Food Stall
 Parking

Comfort Room

Our visit to Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag was and forever will be one of the greatest experiences for me. Traveling with my best friend, sharing thoughts and enjoying the company of each other were the greatest memories that I will forever treasure.





It was my first time to visit the shrine and it won’t be the last. The next visit will be with my family and I believe everyone should take time to travel and discover wonderful places like this at least once in a while.

I always say that I have left my heart in so many places but this place will and forever be a piece in my heart and even my soul. 


#MeTime 


Yours truly na nagfefeeling photographer

Our Lady of Manaoag