Saturday, August 3, 2013

Knowing and Loving Korean Culture

They say that every place is magical.

Every place in the world offers a lot of different interesting things to do.

If you were given the chance to travel  the different places in the world, where would you go and what will you do first?

If you were given the opportunity to stay in a nice apartment, have a car or travel the world, what would you choose?

Traveling allows a person to see the world in different perspective and give people opportunities to grow.

According to Jeff Goins in his article 3 Reasons to Travel While You're Young, he quoted “While you’re young, you should travel. You should take the time to see the world and taste the fullness of life. It’s worth whatever investment or money or sacrifice of time that may be required on your part. This is not about being a tourist. It’s about experiencing true risk and adventure so you don’t have to live in fear for the rest of your life”

Travelling has been a long time dream for me because I want to travel and experience different cultures and meet different people. I’m from the Philippines so  I really prefer and wanted to travel across the country first but going to South Korea is an exemption to that I would want to go first in South Korea before any other places and then I would want to travel the world.

But before all of these travel and experience thing, a lot would ask “how can you do all of these when you don’t have any MONEY to start with?”

So How? Well,  it’s EASY! Of course, for those people who were born with silver spoon in their mouth but for people like me who were born with plastic spoon in mouth please DO NOT LOSE H-O-P-E because THERE ARE WAYS.

There are blogs and SNS that host events, contests and giveaways like gadgets, cars, gift cheques and tour packages. Believe me it all works for kuripot (thrifty) like me. I will give a list of links of sites that host such events but for now I would like to share how my interest in knowing KOREAN CULTURE hopefully will turn my DREAM COME TRUE.

It all started when a friend introduced Girl’sGeneration *SONE here* and Super Junior *ELF here* to me at first I was like Yeah it’s good but I can’t understand it. But then I was hooked in many Korean artist not only in music and TV Series but deeper than that. Though they have shows that  have traditional setting, their culture is way different from what everyone seen in TV which makes me want to know more about Korea.

A month ago, I was browsing a blog that features events and giveaways and then I saw it. I was like OMO! I want to win this! I got to win this! And without hesitation I joined the PSY’s Wiki Korea Event. The event period was from June 03 to July 12, as I have remembered I joined two weeks before the events deadline so I’m a bit uncertain if I still have the chance but that doesn't stop me from answering every category in the list (NEVER SAY NEVER). I did it! I manage to share my knowledge about the Icons of Korea as well as answer few questions from other ibuzz members. It’s fun because I've learned a lot in this event, the sharing and answering process helps a lot in better understanding of Korean culture.

Here are some favorites in the event that contribute a lot in my knowledge about the Icons of KOREA. =)

1, What are the most popular types of Yasik in Korea?

Yasik 야식
In every small town in Korea, there are at least two or three fried chicken franchises that offer delivery services.


Ramyeon is one of the most widely enjoyed snack foods in Korea and is cailed as the food of the people.


Jokbal and bossam are favorite night-time meals for those who love meat. Jokbal is pigs' feet cooked with soy sauce and spices, making for a nutritious and chewy dish.


Street foods tteokbokki and sundae are also high on the list of late-night meals. Tteokbokki is made by boiling cylindrical rice cakes (called garaetteok) with fish cakes in a gochujang sauce. It is a favorite snack for Koreans of all ages. Sundae (pronounced “soon dae”) is made by stuffing pig's intestine with a mixture of seasoned glutinous rice, cellophane noodles, and vegetables and steaming or boiling the sausage.

2. Which do you prefer: eating a Bungeoppang from the tail or the head?
       My answer to this question was tail and then someone posted about the kind of personality depending where you bite a Bungeoppang first. (I agree with the result.)



3. Tourist Spots in Gangnam







 4. Places to visit in Hongdaeap






5. When I think of Korean Fashion





What I have mentioned were only 5 out of 27 icons featured in Psy’s Wiki Korea Event. If you love Korean Pop Music or simply KPOP, Korean Dramas/Movies as well as South Korea and their culture I would suggest to follow their SNS and Sign Up to their ibuzzKOREA site for updates, news and everything you want to know about Korea.

I will post again if I win the contest/event. Hopefully. Kamsahamnida!

W/N: This is my first time to write so I would like to say thank you to everyone that would read this. Also I would like to apologize if there’s any mistake, typographically  or grammatically errors in my post. I edited the pictures to make it a bit different from other contestant I was planning to post this second week of July but I got problems in net connection, I just posted it anyway you may click on the photo to direct you to the original photo and owner/blog.


KTO Sites and KTO SNS:

Official Korean Tourism Organization: 


Touch KOREA:

Youtube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/touchkorea



List of My Fave Blog/ Site:
You can follow their SNS and Join their events. GoodLuck Kittynatics. =)

Credits/ Links to Photos and Information
YASIK:      
Bungeoppang:
Tourist Spots in Gangnam:
Places to visit in Hongdaeap
Photos by Ryu Seunghoo and Chun Minkyu
When I think of Korean Fashion

 Newborn EXOTIC here: =)